Crumbs: Forums » Other TV Shows » What is the Walking Dead to you?
Critical reviews of U.S. TV shows
and analysis of what makes them
good, bad, irritating and enlightening.

Login | Forgot password | Register

X

What is OpenID?

OpenID is an Internet-wide identity system that allows you to sign in to many websites with a single account.

With OpenID, your ID becomes a URL (e.g. http://username.myopenid.com/). You can get a free OpenID for example from myopenid.com.

For more information visit the official OpenID site.

601 Posts in 270 Topics by 23 members

Jump to:

Other TV Shows

Forums » Other TV Shows » What is the Walking Dead to you?

Moderators: TheTVCritic

Page: 1 , 2 Go to End
Author Topic: What is the Walking Dead to you? 6817 Views
  • Fluids
    Community Member
    335 Posts

Re: What is the Walking Dead to you? Link to this post

All wonderful entries!

I agree with TWD being a 'universe show' as well as 'living breathing comic book'. It also (for me) has added dimensions to the Zombie/Horror genre that hasn't been developed in past movie vehicles through it's unique characterization and character dialog and action interplay.

The only other close approximates (for me) are in movie form: 'Juan De Los Muertos' and 'Shaun of The Dead.' Comparing those things altogether the universe is the important container and the characters adapting and evolving from it and their interplay are what make the journey worth it.

Universe:
    Indeed Robin, a dark dark place where we can watch humanity thrive or languish.

My favorite episodes actually have little or average use of zombies 'TS-19' and 'Clear'.

Lost had a way of leaking out the purpose of why they were on the Island slowly over time.

The purpose of The Walking Dead (from the producers perspective) may have been intentional undefined, and left to be subjective.

Living Comic book:
    Michonne's sudden appearance from one place to another (from the ground to the Morgan's rooftop and her fast extraction of Carl's photo) during 'Clear' and the effortless way she wields her Katana most of the time bring that point to life for me.

• Fluids
    Community Member
    335 Posts

Hi Robin,

Now that you have read the 1st Compendium, which you gave a review of here:

Walking Dead: Robin Reads the Walking Dead:
    http://www.thetvcritic.org/blog/robin-reads-the-walking-dead/

Has that changed what you are looking for out of the Walking Dead?

• TheTVCritic
    Forum Moderator
    172 Posts

Hmm. Ultimately nothing changes for me in the sense that I want interesting, believable characters who I care about.

But it's a good question. I think what I read raised more interesting social questions than I expected. The TV show has so far ignored these in favour of very traditional romances. After "Alone" it seems like Darryl is going for the young blonde rather than a more interesting choice in Carol.

I think there's a lot more they could do with that but probably fear alienating their audience.

• Fluids
    Community Member
    335 Posts

It's funny you mentioned that. It has definitely made me aware as I am watching the TV show of the compromises that have been made for ratings. Especially with the choices of who dies and how they meet their end and also with romances absolutely. Daryl should be with Carol not Beth. As you say, it's more intriguing.

I feel like after being exposed to the comic that now I have a better sense of how the story flows through the group in the TV show better than it moves through the comic.

Go to Top

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: