Crumbs: Forums » Other TV Shows » Walking Dead: Season Six: Episode One: First Time Again
Critical reviews of U.S. TV shows
and analysis of what makes them
good, bad, irritating and enlightening.

Login | Forgot password | Register

X

What is OpenID?

OpenID is an Internet-wide identity system that allows you to sign in to many websites with a single account.

With OpenID, your ID becomes a URL (e.g. http://username.myopenid.com/). You can get a free OpenID for example from myopenid.com.

For more information visit the official OpenID site.

585 Posts in 262 Topics by 23 members

Jump to:

Other TV Shows

Forums » Other TV Shows » Walking Dead: Season Six: Episode One: First Time Again

Moderators: TheTVCritic

Page: 1 Go to End
Author Topic: Walking Dead: Season Six: Episode One: First Time Again 751 Views
  • Fluids
    Community Member
    328 Posts

Walking Dead: Season Six: Episode One: First Time Again Link to this post

Walking Dead: Season Six; Episode One: First Time Again

On Robin's scale I give this an 83.
    Overall, I thought the episode was well written and there was a nice balance between action and character development.

I felt we get depth of interaction between characters one on one in between the big actions.

Summary:

We are hit with a cold opening mix of past black and white images of Abraham putting the bodies of Pete and Reg on ice for burial, and then color images of Rick et Company trying to shepherd a mega horde of walkers that are penned up in a quarry (not far away) past the settlement in Alexandria so that they are moved twenty miles down the road averting potential disaster to the settlement.

Time jumps to the past are done in black and white and the present scenes are in color.
    Amazing special effects done on a massive scale. (I believe 18 makeup artists were used on this episode that were kept busy night and day; and it shows.)

~~~~~~~~~
    Great moments:
    Between Rick and Morgan; Abraham and Sasha; Morgan and Michonne; Carter and Eugene.

~~~~~~~~~
    Feedback: I thought the overall scenes; character interactions and storyline were interlaced very well.

~~~~~~~~~
    The Good:

*I wasn't expecting anything special from the season opener given the whimper Season Five flitted out with, so this setup at the quarry was a welcome; refreshing; disorienting surprise.

*Rick watching Morgan work out with his Bo Staff and learning that Morgan had learned how to use it after Rick had last seem him. Morgan certainly has changed. He’s almost got this Kung Fu master (I don’t kill unless I have to) vibe going on. He appears to have made peace with his violent past life as a killing machine (of both humans and walkers) However, I do think he does struggle with the killing of people part of that outlook because this is a world that makes that virtually impossible (the Wolves are great example).

*The scene with Rick and Morgan on the porch reminded me of the men Rick and Morgan were and are now. They seem vacillate over time between the extremes of humanity spanning a period of six seasons coming from opposites, which I think is nicely done. The two of them together for me complete the picture of a balanced person yet neither of them has at any given time been that person during the apocalypse. In a way I think they complete each other. The acting sparks between Andrew Lincoln and Lenny James are very strong; emotive and intense.

This brought my thoughts all the way back to the first two episodes and thinking about Morgan and Rick from back then to where they are now. Rick once again is learning from Morgan; that he is losing his humanity in some respects and needs to get it back. Morgan is losing his edge with the reality that he sometimes has to kill to keep the peace.

*There is a nice similar dynamic going on between Abraham and Sasha as Morgan and Rick. While Sasha appears to be coming out of her collapse; Abraham seems to be falling into his.

*Morgan and Michonne watching Rick execute a screaming Carter after he was bitten on the cheek to keep the Walkers on the road. Morgan is relearning from Rick (I hope); that killing is a necessary thing in this world to keep your fellow human beings and the innocent alive.

*There is nice counterpoint done with the way the scenes were lined up showing the different sides of characters (framed in past and present) to round out their personae.

*Nice stratification of characters ranging from:
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Those ‘Ill equipped’ to handle themselves with killing the dead and the hostile living:
    Most Alexandrians, Father Gabriel, Judith

~~~~~~~~~
    Those ‘equipped’ to handle themselves with killing the dead and the hostile living:
    Most of Rick’s group, Aaron, Heath,

~~~~~~~~~
    Those ‘sort of equipped’ to handle themselves with killing the dead and the hostile living:
    Eugene, Spencer, Enid

~~~~~~~~~
    Those equipped to handle themselves with killing the dead and the hostile living, however refuse to kill the hostile living:
    Morgan

~~~~~~~~~
    The Bad:
    Nothing too bad that stuck out.

There was less done with the remaining pairs of characters.

Glen and Maggie
    Daryl and Carol
    Eugene and Tara (great moments; would have like more)

~~~~~~~~~
    The Unknown:

Who is honking the horn? (My bet it's one of the Wolves;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Walking Dead Threads on the TV Critic:
    http://www.thetvcritic.org/forums/other-tv-shows/show/173
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go to Top

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: