Crumbs: Forums » Other TV Shows » Game of Thrones: Season 7 Episode 7: The Dragon and The Wolf
Critical reviews of U.S. TV shows
and analysis of what makes them
good, bad, irritating and enlightening.

Login | Forgot password | Register

X

What is OpenID?

OpenID is an Internet-wide identity system that allows you to sign in to many websites with a single account.

With OpenID, your ID becomes a URL (e.g. http://username.myopenid.com/). You can get a free OpenID for example from myopenid.com.

For more information visit the official OpenID site.

540 Posts in 242 Topics by 23 members

Jump to:

Other TV Shows

Forums » Other TV Shows » Game of Thrones: Season 7 Episode 7: The Dragon and The Wolf

Moderators: TheTVCritic

Page: 1 Go to End
Author Topic: Game of Thrones: Season 7 Episode 7: The Dragon and The Wolf 164 Views
  • Fluids
    Community Member
    303 Posts

Game of Thrones: Season 7 Episode 7: The Dragon and The Wolf Link to this post

Game of Thrones: Season 7 Episode 7: The Dragon and the Wolf

I think House Stark one this week's Game of Thrones. This one is hard to judge for a winner because of three things that took seven years to happen all happened at the time:

1. House Stark has reunited and finally defeated Baelish who started everything.
    2. The Wall comes down (although it's been up far longer than seven years.)
    3. Jon Snow is Aegon Targaryen

Overall I didn't like the first 50 minutes of the show. If you compare how fast the last show went in terms of actions and locations to this one; it's like going from one extreme to another. I felt like I spent 45 minutes waiting for Cersei to pay Dany lip service and lay out her true intentions to Jaime. All of that I knew was coming deep down in my thoughts a few episodes ago.

The execution and final comeuppance for Lord Baelish is 7 years in the making and it was a great book ending of the main story. The pack is split up by a common enemy; comes together; survives and avenges the death of it's parents and punishes the separator.

I honestly thought a better way for Baelish to meet his end was him playing off the rift between Jon and Sansa; not Arya and Sansa. They could have done the same scene with Jon in Arya’s place next season. Since Dany would be up at Winterfell with Jon; and with Bran and Sam revealing Jon is really a Targaryen; I think the rift between Jon and Sansa would have been way more dramatic. The thing that could bring them together is Bran revealing Jon was raised by Ned and that he is a much a Stark as a Targaryen; playing into what Jon said to Theon about him being a Stark as much a Greyjoy and granting him foregiveness. Bran could also verify everything Sansa said Little Finger did. If anyone in the North questions his Greensight abilities, Bran could offer to each them knowledge no one else would know in the form of a whisper in their ears. All of this would have had more drama and emotion I think then the emotionless set of situations we were given this episode.

The huge nuclear bomb for me was Sam and Bran's scene with the montage of Rhaegar/Lyanna and Jon/Dany. We finally get to see Rhaegar and the reveal that Jon is Aegon Targaryen was wonderful! I would have appreciated 5-10 more minutes of that then the 50 minutes of Cersei persuasion.

I was expecting more of a fight against the White Walkers then what was delivered. It was more of an assault and fast destruction of the Wall and series of reactions by Tormund and Beric then anything else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Summary:

* Dany, Missandei, Tyrion, Jon, Ser Davos, Euron, Cersei, Jaime, Qyburn, Theon, Brienne, Bronn, Podrick and the Mountain all meet at a Dragon Theater in King's Landing and show the Wight to Cersei and demonstrate how to kill it.

* Cersei agrees that is the imminent threat to the Kingdom and agrees to an armistice, however wants Jon to stay neutral until the Night King is defeated. Jon tells Cersei he has given fealty to Dany (everyone later on tells him he should have lied.) Cersei says the deal is off and leaves.

* Tyrion goes by himself to persuade Cersei back to the table. They all wait while he makes his case and he figures out Cersei is pregnant. My guess is he used that to persuade her back to the table.

* It is later revealed to Jaime that he is only saying she will supply troops, however she's planning on doing nothing.

* Little Finger is executed for his crimes against Lord Arryn, Lysa Arryn, and Ned Stark.

* Theon is partially foregiven by Jon and he sets off to rescue Yara (not sure where she is though: See the bad.)

* Sam arrives in Winterfell and meets with Bran. He learns Bran is the three eyed Raven. Bran reveals that Jon is Lyanna's son and not Neds and that Jon is really Jon Sand. Sam corrects him by revealing that Rhaegar had his marriage annulled to marry Lyanna Stark and asks Bran to warg into the past to confirm the marriage between Rhaegar and Lyanna and finds out that that Jon Snow is really Aegon Targaryen. Jon and Dany have a tryst while this is happening and Tyrion knows about it.

* The Night King riding Viserion takes down the wall at Eastwatch and marches through the wall with an army of thousands on the North.

Best lines:

The Hound: “That’s not how it ends for you, brother...You know who’s coming for you. You’ve always known.”

Sansa to Arya: "You're still very strange and annoying."

Good:

* Finally the Stark redemption arc is completed. It took seven years, however from Dead Dire Wolf with lost pups in the first episode to the Stark pack avenging their dead parents by executing the man who started off this whole story, Lord Baelish's end was satisfying.

* For me the most exciting and best part of the show was Samwell with Bran: Aegon Targaryen has now been revealed! and we got to see Rhaegar marrying Lyanna.

* It took seven years, however the wall comes down! The Night King scenes bringing down the wall were good! I thought they could have been done better. I loved the blue fire!

* The beginning of Cleghane Bowl! They had the stadium and we have seen the coin toss. When is the kick off?

Bad:

* Great, Theon is off to rescue Yara. How the heck does he know where she is? Theon, Jon, Dany and Tyrion heard Euron say he was going back to the Iron Isles upon seeing the Wight. If what Cersei is saying is true (in strict confidence to Jaime) about Euron sailing to Essos to pickup mercenary soldiers, wouldn't he be setting sail for the Iron Isles? Isn't Yara with Euron and he's now in Essos?

* Arya and Sansa scenes here were well played, however I feel like everything was done for my sake (the audience) instead of for the story's sake.

1. How did they both go from distrusting each other last episode; and Arya threatening to expose Sansa to the North men over the Raven note to Winterfell asking Rob to bend the knee to Cersei to both of them coming together and putting one over on Lord Baelish?
    2. There's something missing there for me which would have shown Starks unifying as a pack to overcome their adversaries by overcoming their differences. Where is that the scene?
    3. Arya never told Sansa where she got the Raven note after Sansa asked here. The dialog we heard last episode only works as a ruse (for sake of the story) if someone is there with them in the room to hear the ruse and there were no cup-bearers in the room for the conversations between Arya and Sansa; just us watchers of the show. So in one sense they were just trying to throw viewers off (instead of throwing off Baelish in the story) so they can surprise us with his execution.
    4. What was it that brought Arya around to trusting Sansa and what was it that Sansa saw in Arya that brought them together? Since that is missing, the only thing that brings Baelish ruse around to this point plot-wise that makes sense to me is Sansa playing Little Finger in her conversations with him last episode.

* Tyrion goes to see Cersei all alone. Why? What did it actually accomplish? Why didn't she just behead him?

* Cersei gave the Mountain the order to execute Jaime, yet he only drew his sword? She didn't given any sort of signal to stop midway. It was just Jaime saying 'Do it'. Does the Mountain also listen to Jaime or is questioning Cersei's orders? Huh??

* Why didn't anyone fire bolts from the Wall at Wight Viserion?

* What's occurring to me right now is I had to sit through an unintended/intended incest sex scene between Dany and Jon (An aunt and her nephew). Yuck!

Unknown:

* Is Yara on the Iron Isle or with Euron heading to Essos? Does Theon even know where she is? How could he?

* Is Jaime heading to Winterfell? Will Cersei call back all the bannerman and give them new orders to assemble in King's Landing and go after Casterly Rock, Dorne and Dragonstone while Dany is up North fighting the Night King?

* What kind of impact will Jon's legitimacy have on his relationship with Dany?

* Does the Mountain know the Hound is his brother still? I am going to guess he didn't die all the way and Qyburn managed to revive him up to a point where he recognizes the Hound is brother.

* Will Dany and Jon's meeting lead them to having a child?

* What did Ned tell Robert about Lyanna? Did he say he found her dead? Did Robert just find out on his own she was dead? That part of the story isn't clear to me. Was Ned originally sent by Robert to find Lyanna or did he seek out Lyanna on his own?

* Tyrion knows Jon and Dany had sex. As this whole story started with crimes committed to conceal an incident of incest (Bran being pushed out a window by Jaime), will something bad happen to Tyrion to conceal Jon and Dany's tryst?

* Did Tormund and Beric die in the Wall collapse?

* Will Cersei make a play for Dragonstone while Dany and Jon are up North since it is on an island and safe from the White Walkers and undead armies?

Game of Thrones Threads at the TV Critic:
    http://www.thetvcritic.org/forums/other-tv-shows/show/180

• Aaronic
    Community Member
    40 Posts

Re: Game of Thrones: Season 7 Episode 7: The Dragon and The Wolf Link to this post

Hey Fluids, awesome points as always, especially about Littlefinger's death. I think you really nailed all the problems with his downfall.

I'm very busy this week so I will leave a very brief review. I give this a 60 out of 100. Some parts were really good but overall the execution left a lot to be desired.

I like the pacing of this episode, but it does feel a little out of place when you consider the frenetic pacing of the other 6 episodes this season.

Littlefinger's death was satisfying and a long time coming, but it had many flaws. We really needed to see more of how Sansa, Bran and Arya set up his downfall.

I liked that Bran finally revealed Jon's heritage to someone but I wish he told someone more important to him like his sisters. It was kind of awkward to get this reveal as Dany and Jon hooked up. The idea of incest in their relationship isn't something I can support so it took away from the, getting together.

The Wall finally came down which was a brilliant ending visual. I wonder if Beric and Tormund will survive.

I wasn't too impressed by Theon's story. He has hardly gotten any focus this season which made me very disinterested in his storyline.

The big meeting was pretty enjoyable and I liked all of the interactions. I'm glad to see that Cersei stayed true to her character and wants everyone else to slug it out with the white walkers. Euron going after the Golden Company intrigues me.

Jaime finally left Cersei but I feel that the scene wasn't as impactful as it should have been.

I'll be back soon for overall Thoughts on the season and where I would place it compared to the others.

Go to Top

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: