Crumbs: Forums » Other TV Shows » The Walking Dead: Season 9: Episode 1: A New Beginning
Critical reviews of U.S. TV shows
and analysis of what makes them
good, bad, irritating and enlightening.

Login | Forgot password | Register

X

What is OpenID?

OpenID is an Internet-wide identity system that allows you to sign in to many websites with a single account.

With OpenID, your ID becomes a URL (e.g. http://username.myopenid.com/). You can get a free OpenID for example from myopenid.com.

For more information visit the official OpenID site.

599 Posts in 269 Topics by 23 members

Jump to:

Other TV Shows

Forums » Other TV Shows » The Walking Dead: Season 9: Episode 1: A New Beginning

Moderators: TheTVCritic

Page: 1 Go to End
Author Topic: The Walking Dead: Season 9: Episode 1: A New Beginning 331 Views
  • Fluids
    Community Member
    335 Posts

The Walking Dead: Season 9: Episode 1: A New Beginning Link to this post

I give this episode a 52 on Robin's Scale.

The show weaknesses persists for me unfortunately. Not much of a new beginning in my eyes. Same treatment on the dialog, characters and interactions as previous three years. The things worth noting at this point:

* I can tell you there's only been a handful of times I have felt like I have been in the moment with the
    thought processes of characters interacting with each other over the past three years.

* I have always felt like I was just an observer with this show; not feeling their pains or sharing their
    thoughts; leaving unimpactful deaths and events.

* Motives aren't clear or consistent for each of the characters with their interactions; leading to meandering story-lines that don't allow for building character development or help show character evolution. Canon is the only way we get this with Rick, Michonne, Maggie and Daryl in particular. More annoying is characters reminding us of those past interactions to help establish why they are thinking or acting a certain way.

* The Comic book and the show continue to driver further and further apart, which is fine. The show is
    the show and the Graphic Novel is the Graphic Novel.

* Punching up the season by telling me in commercials that this is Rick's final set of episodes, is not compelling me to watch any more than I have in the past.

* Brett Butler the Comedian is almost unrecognizable as Tammy. Nothing memorable about her dialog.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Story Run down:

It's over a year and half later. "Alexandria, the Hilltop, the Kingdom, and the Oceanside came together to fight for a better future."

Michonne, Rick watch Judith paint at Alexandria. Judith seems will adjusted considering her past.
    Daryl requests a Run into DC to deal with lack of crops growing to get supplies to remedy that situation.

* Daryl requests a run into DC for supplies due to poor crop yield.

* Jesus and Aaron flirt while putting down walkers.

* Siddiq, Rick, Maggie, Gabriel, Carol, Ezekiel, Daryl, Enid, Anne and Ken (Only episode) shop for supplies in an old history museum.

* Ezekiel almost dies and is rescued by Rick and Company. Carol kisses him; making it clear they are
    together.

* Ken dies trying to save the horses that got stuck in mud pulling a wagon rescued from the museum.
    Maggie mercies him after he dies so they can take his body home to his parents.

* Tammy and Earl (Ken's parents) are distraught and they bury their son back at the Hilltop.

* Gregory uses them to try and get revenge on Maggie for winning the election to govern hilltop.

* Daryl points out they have to go out further and further to get supplies. Rick then reasons they need to repair the bridge that is out asap.

* Earl tries to kill Maggie. Gregory tries to kill Maggie. They both fail.

* Carol confides to Daryl her thoughts about Ezekiel.

* Gregory is hung for his crimes against Maggie and Earl is put in Jail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Good:

*Gregory finally being hung and killed off. Xander Berkeley is a fine actor and did what he could with
    the role, however the writing could have done more than it has.

* World expansion here is good. That being said, entire communities are being represented by Rick's crew:

Daryl; soon to be Carol (Sanctuary)
    Maggie; (Hilltop)
    Rick; (Alexandria)
    Cyndie; (Oceanside);
    Ezekiel (Kingdom);

SEE: The Bad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bad:

* I am not quite sure how a walker herd can take out a bridge. It's also part of the bridge which is
    even more puzzling. The whole bridge should be out if this was due to a capacity issue. If it was due to a capacity issue, how is fixing the bridge going to solve the problem. Couldn't the walkers just
    accumulate and take it out again?

* Ken's death was not very impactful. I grieved over the loss of young man who was edging into adulthood. He used to handle the horses apparently at Hilltop. Not much else going on emotionally for me here. I didn't know him; he didn't contribute anything of value to the story other than provide a way for Gregory to finally get hung and killed off. Consequences don't mean much when I don't feel anything for the characters involved in receiving those consequences.

* I never felt Hershel was in any sort of danger when Gregory attacked Maggie.

* I know that this is Rick's last set of episodes. You can guess when the final episodes will occur; either at the half season or the total season ender. If I bear that in mind, then I know Rick's safe at least for the first six episodes. The advertising about his final episodes once again isn't helping.

* Rick's crew is sketching out (in some regards) these communities that have a number of members. In the interest of time, it works however what's lost here are the sizes of these communities to be able to tell what the impact is on crop deficits at the Sanctuary at other places.

* If you add too many characters the impact of deaths gets diluted. If you don't add enough characters to interactions you also don't get enough impact with interactions as far as their consequences and effects. Expansion of communities is wonderful if your impact and interactions with characters keeps up with it. It doesn't here unfortunately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Unknowns:

* What happened to Heath?
    * Who owns the helicopter?
    * Where is Sherry?
    * What will happen to Dwight? Will he meet up with Sherry?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.thetvcritic.org/forums/other-tv-shows/show/173
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Aaronic
    Community Member
    63 Posts

Re: The Walking Dead: Season 9: Episode 1: A New Beginning Link to this post

I thought this was okay. I give it a 56. I agree with pretty much everything you have said here, the show is still struggling to overcome its weaknesses.

I did think the dialogue was noticeably better in this episode which I appreciated. I hope that the season gets better as it goes on because this has given me a sliver of hope.

I hate the idea to market these as Rick’s final episodes. Now when Rick dies, it’s going to have nowhere near the impact it otherwise would have.

After two seasons I don’t buy into Carol and Ezekiel as a couple for some reason. Maybe it’s disappointment from where Carol’s character went in these last two seasons or something else entirely. Either way, I’m just not invested.

Gregory’s death has been way overdue, but I still enjoyed it. It’s a good way to bring Maggie back to the centre of the story as she appears to have a larger role this season.

The show definitely has too many characters. So many characters are in limbo without any story. I think the best way to reset this show would honestly be to just kill off majority of the side characters who have outlived their purpose to the story. Sometimes you have to bury the past to start again.

Go to Top

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: